Wednesday, November 26, 2008

d taste or d memories!!?...

Had cranberries for the first time ... & it tasted something like I had never expected it to!! Does the taste cranberries give a cocktail, come from this stuff??!!! :o// .. & now when I think back to what I expected it to taste like, I don't have any answer!!
When Iwas just about to pop one, Snig told me that it tasted like tamarind(Incidentally, we ate them a lil' before they were ripe ;)).. I ate my first carnberry with childhood memories of filling up sacks of tamarind in the estate... a helper would climb the tree to pluck them & I would happily contribute my share by picking the fallen ones while munching on a pod- with looks of glee & little shreiks when the tartness hit my taste buds...
I told myself that I would surely like the crans & wasn't disappointed... :) I sometimes wonder if it is the taste that I actually like or the memories that go with it...
I luv neem leaves too...When we eat neem & jaggery for Ugadi(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugadi), I always end up with more than the quantity one would need to have as per the custom... & yes, they are real bitter... but I still luv them...It brings back memories of granpa- me settled on his lap, out on the portico, telling me stories & making this bitter stuff go down my throat with ease!!.. Granpa passed away when I was at an age that didn't make me realise what 'passing away' really meant... many memories that left a mark... lots of stuff that trigger those memories.. Though I don't usually talk much about him, with every phase of life, I stop & say to myself- "Granpa would have been real hapy bout tis!!"..
Hmmn.. do I really luv the tartness of cranberries?... do I luv the bitterness of neem?... Or- is it the kindled memories that make me luv them?..

No comments: