Sunday, October 30, 2011

Seven-cups… Oooops!!! Six!! ;)


Yet another sweet that mom made during our hols. Come to think of it, she juggled all the work at home, the bank & still stuffed us with home-made goodies!! I remember mom telling me that it was called 7-cups 'coz 7 cups of ingredients go into making this. Try as I might, I couldn't recollect the 7th cup. Mom couldn't too! ;) So just went ahead with 6cups-of-guessed-ingredients for a quick Diwali treat. They ended up tasting just like the 7-cups. I'm still at times tormented with thoughts of "what-was-the-7th-cup"… Pushing them away for now! Herez how I made my 6-cups…:)
You need:
1 cup ghee
2 cups sugar (I used a little more than 1.5 cups.Taste & alter as you go along)
1 cup freshly grated coconut
1 cup milk
1 cup besan
a pinch of powdered cardamom (optional)
How to:
Melt the ghee on a low flame in a wide mouthed kadai/wok. Add the sugar and stir (I use powdered sugar – so I don’t really have to slave over the flame ;)). Now add the coconut and the milk. You could add in a pinch of powdered cardamom (optional). Add the besan, pouring steadily and stirring all the while. Make sure no lumps are formed. You need to keep stirring constantly to avoid burning. After about 10-15 minutes of arm-workout, the mixture starts leaving the edges and forming a lump as you turn it over. Spread this out on a plate smeared lightly with ghee. Allow it to cool for a few minutes and cut into desired pieces/shapes while it is still warm. You can pop them out of the plate after they cool completely.
Pointers:
If you find it difficult to handle spreading the mixture onto a plate, you could pat it down with our hand, alternately dipping your hand in cold water. Work quickly so that you don’t burn your fingers. :)

No comments: